Case Study For :- The National Ice Arena
Job Description: Construct new Skate Hire, 2/ number changing rooms with walking in wet rooms
Client: National Ice Arena, Bolero Square, the Lace Market, Nottingham.
Existing Building: Second Rink to the National Ice Arena.
Health & Safety: CDM
Case Study:- Demolition of existing Changing Rooms & Skate Hire. Construction new Skate Hire & Changing Rooms with walk in shower rooms.
Works Carried Out:- Works tendered for from drawing & specification provided by the architect. The contract was then awarded to D L Rhodes Ltd, to be carried out in two phases. Phase 1 Skate Hire & Phase 2 Changing rooms & party room. A programme, Health & Safety Method & Risk Assessment was submitted and agreed.
Works carried by D.L.Rhodes & Son Ltd;
New Skate Hire Phase 1
Demolition Works: – Remove existing suspended ceilings to 2/ number existing changing rooms and cart away. Carefully take down fair face 140mm concrete blocks walls to existing changing rooms and remove from site to skips, height of walls 3.5 metres to the underside concrete first floor slab.
Building Works: –
- Make good concrete floor to existing walls removed.
- Form new skate hire curved counter as per drawing in 18mm plywood, lined with blue rubber covering. Internal section of counter timber racking to hold skates. Form bulk head above counter to house security folding shutter and new signage above.
- Supply & fit new suspended ceiling using moisture resistant ceiling tiles with internal recess lighting to skate hire and down lights in front of new counter.
- Supply & fit new vinyl non slip flooring with vinyl 100mm black skirting.
- Design, approved & build timber racking for 670 number pigeon holes 380mm x 380mm & 935 number pigeon holes 320mm x 320mm to hold all skates for public skating.
New Skate Hire Party Room, Changing Rooms & Wet Rooms Phase 2
Demolition Works: – Dismantle existing skate hire racking, existing counter & cart away. Remove existing suspended ceilings and cart away. Take up existing rubber flooring & cart away.
Building Works: – Cut out existing concrete slab & extend existing drains to pick up new disabled toilet and 2/ number wet rooms.
- Construct new 140mm buff concrete blocks to a height of 3.5 metre, forming 2/ number changing rooms, 1/ disabled toilet, 1/ party room & 1/ number walk in showers.
- Supply & fit 1/ number stainless steel aco channel, linking both changing rooms falling to existing outlet with doubled sealed trap.
- Works to wet rooms, form new mf ceilings with moisture resistant boards finished in plaster skim, including 2/ number hatches for services. Tile floor to ceiling to all walls in 150mm x300mm white gloss tiles using tile to vinyl white trim. Flooring non slip vinyl, with black vinyl skirting. Lighting, ventilation extraction fitted to ceilings linked to sensor. Supply and fit 4 /number chrome shower heads, with chrome pipework & fixings surface fixed to new tiles.
- Ceilings to changing rooms & party room using a suspended grid with moisture restraint 600mm x 600mm tiles with extended existing ventilation and recess lighting.
- Supply & fit new blue dimpled rubber tiles to changing rooms, disabled toilet & party room.
- Supply & fit new doc M pack to disabled toilet.
- Form new timber slats benches on performed steel legs to both changing rooms.
- Form large plaster board bulk head using a MF system to the recess formed to the front of the changing rooms over looking skating rink with power sockets to receive new vending machines to be carried out by the arena.
Conclusion :- Work to Phase 1 & 2 was carried out over a 12 week period with the completion over the Christmas period at the busiest time, with the public coming into the arena in there thousand on a daily bases.